Thursday, November 26, 2015

Vendor Profile #3: Rare Specimens

Rare Specimens



Tell us about your work and what we can expect to see at Handmade Hamilton
Rare Specimens is made by hand with all natural minerals, crystals, rocks and gemstones. Each piece of jewelry is created from elements of the earth to showcase natural beauty.

Describe your day in studio. 

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home on Rare Specimens, so I usually get to take my dogs for a walk before getting to work, and they tend to lay on the floor while I work. Depending on what I have to do that day, I may be in the basement of my house breaking down larger geodes and minerals with a chisel and a hammer, upstairs in the attic pairing up crystals to make earring pairs, or soldering brass together while I work on new items. Every day is a little bit different. 



What do you think is the next big trend in craft? 
I've been so in love the textile based jewelry trends of the last little while, and I think that will just get more and more popular. 


Do you listen to music or podcasts while you work? 
 I usually listen to podcasts in the studio, but lately I've also been on a real top 40 pop music kick as well. I've basically just been listening to Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber and Drake songs for the last month while I work. For podcasts I love Stuff You Should Know,
 99% Invisible, This American Life. The classics! 




What are your favourite books and movies. 
I also love listening to audio books while I work. It's such a great way to keep interested while working for 5 or 6 straight hours. Lately I've loved listening to All My Puny Sorrows and The Rocks. Such great books. I feel like my favourite movies are always changing, but recently I can't stop thinking about how much I loved Obvious Child

Fave local makers? 
Roisin Fagan textiles, Krystal Speck pottery, Thea Haines beautiful embroidery, and oh man I feel like I could name a million people here.


No comments:

Post a Comment