Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Vendor Profile #2: Dear Edna



Dear Edna


Tell us about your work and what we can expect to see at Handmade Hamilton. 

I sew aprons, tea cosies, quilts, and other practical home accessories, in classic shapes and colourful prints. 


What inspires you?

Beautiful fabric, first and foremost. It literally speaks to me and tells me what it will become. In fact, I get incredibly frustrated when it doesn't; "It's so beautiful, but I don't know what I will make with it!" is a common complaint from me in a fabric store. Ha! 

I'm also constantly inspired by the past and the handmade tradition. The styles themselves, but also the skill and patience it took to make them. The thought of my grandmother sewing a quilt entirely by hand is amazing to me! Traditional sewing, weaving, and printing methods are disappearing art forms. I am eager to learn as much as I can and find ways to incorporate them into my work.


A lot  artists and crafters listen to audio books and podcasts to get inspired.  What do you listen to? 

Working from home every day can be isolating, to say the least, so I try my best to get out of the house for a walk every day and I love to listen to podcasts when I do. Right now my favourites are Seamwork Radio, Being Boss, and She Percolates. When I'm sewing, there is always music playing, typically just a random indie mix on Songza




dearedna.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment